Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens Review

Back in this post I had posted a few pictures from a wedding shoot that I had done with a fellow photog.  He had rented a couple of lenses for us to use, and the one that I ended up using for the shoot was a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L.

This was a great lens and I can't say enough good things about it.  It had great clarity and was much more versatile than the 50 mm 1.8 that I'm used to using.  The 50mm is a prime lens, which means it has no zoom capabilities.  In other words, you zoom with your feet.  The Canon pictured above however was in the perfect range for wedding type photography as it was a fairly wide shot when zoomed all the way out but had the capability of getting in fairly close when the scene changed as we were shooting.  I found that it was pretty difficult to move freely around the church during the ceremony so having a nice zoom was very practical.  Colour and saturation were also as good as I've ever seen in a lens.

There is some very, very slight distortion at the wide end of the zoom, but I could hardly pick it up at all.  It's a great (probably the best) general purpose lens that Canon makes.  If I had the money, this would be the first lens I would buy.  

I should also mention that the lens was rented from Lethbridge Lens Rentals.  This is a great family run business here in Lethbridge.  They rent lenses, camera bodies and other photography gear out of their home in West Lethbridge.  It's a great service for a part-time photographer like me as I get to use high-end lenses that I couldn't otherwise justify spending the money on (yet!).

2 comments:

  1. That lens produced some fine shots. Now, I'm an Olympus guy (from way back), and I've never experimented with either Canon or Nikon products, though I've read great reviews, and seen some wonderful results. Bt my point, I guess, is that who sits behind the lens is more important than the specifics of the equipment, my recent post notwithstanding.
    A good review, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    awesome lens
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete